NVF ADVENT THOUGHTS

Short devotionals and meditations on Christmas (and other stuff) for members and friends of New Vision Fellowship, Beaverton, Oregon.

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Love

So, Sunday, the second Sunday of Advent, we lit the Bethlehem candle, the candle of Love. Pastor Gene quoted John 3:16, probably the first verse most Christians ever memorize. Like him, I learned it in the King James Version. It's silly, I know, but it doesn't quite seem right when I hear it quoted from another translation or paraphrase.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

I've heard a lot of preaching and teaching about God and God's love in the 49 plus years (including the months in utero) I've spent in church. As Pastor Gene pointed out, quite a substantial portion of that love language is packed into the writings of St. John. If you only count the word love itself, and not other forms of the word, John uses it about 60 times in his writings.

"Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love."
1 John 4:8

"My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you."
John 15:12

"Anyone who does not do what is right is not a child of God; neither is anyone who does not love his brother [or sister]."
1 John 3:10

Clearly for John, and for God, this love stuff is a big deal: The biggest deal. It's at the core of who God is. It's his nature. It's what makes grace possible. Given that, it's not surprising, though still awesome and overwhelming, that his child Jesus would love us completely and with all that he had to give.

The Apostle Paul, who also knew a little something about God's love, wrote:

"You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous man, though for a good man someone might possibly dare to die. But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."
Romans 5:6-8

Like Father, like Son.

We are God's children, too. Love is our new-birthright and calling.

"As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love."
John 15:9

Your name here: __________ is God's child, too. Love is ___________'s new-birthright and calling.

"As the Father has loved me, so have I loved __________. Now, __________ remain in my love."
John 15:9

Rinse (of doubt, sense of unworthiness, lies of Satan) And Repeat until it sinks in, even just a little more.

--Lee Lower

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home