NVF ADVENT THOUGHTS

Short devotionals and meditations on Christmas (and other stuff) for members and friends of New Vision Fellowship, Beaverton, Oregon.

Friday, December 08, 2006

Inviting Jesus In

"Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me."
Revelation 3:20

When I was growing up, every child from a "good Christian home" memorized Revelation 3:20. This verse was usually presented to us in the context of a salvation message: Jesus wants to come into your heart and cleanse it of sin. If you say yes, he will.

I think Jesus is still knocking at my heart's door.

"How about making today 'Take Jesus To Work Day'?"
"I'd love to go shopping with you today."
"Can I ride with you while you carpool the kids?"
"Could I listen while you and Lee talk about your days?"
"Hey, I Love Lucy, too!"

St. Teresa of Avila said "Remember that the Lord walks among the pots and pans." Jesus wants to participate in all aspects of our lives, even the mundane and routine like the pots and pans.

"Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast."
Psalm 139:7-10

--Leslie Porter

1 Comments:

  • At 11:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Amen and amen.

    I love that quote by Teresa de Avila. She had such a desire for depth in her walk, seeking to go deeper into her intimacy with Him, yet at the same time so fully aware and consistently training her novices and sisters to take what is at hand and do it knowing that He continues in the movement with them....

    How true - where can we possibly hide from His presence? When I was a new believer that threatened me....now it comforts me deeply...no matter what happens, even if I don't see Him, he continues to be invested.

    Eleanor Roosevelt is quoted as saying: "You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, ‘I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.’ You must do the thing you think you cannot do" - I love the quote, but want to add: "Knowing that He is the one who continues to face that very thing with you and His spirit is the one that is able to continue to propel you.....and use it to enrich your life...." if we are not afraid to continue to invite Him in within the process.

    Bonnie - aka Lorna Doone.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home