NVF ADVENT THOUGHTS

Short devotionals and meditations on Christmas (and other stuff) for members and friends of New Vision Fellowship, Beaverton, Oregon.

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Confessions of a Joy Sucker

I’ve been thinking about this ever since Sunday when Pastor Gene said “joy sucker” during his sermon. I guess I should write about it and get it out of my head for awhile. Those of you who know me may know that I have several relatives in the congregation. Among them is my baby brother. Since he was born when I was eight, I got in the habit of calling him that. Also, I think I earned the right to call Doran “baby brother” after having changed his diapers incalculable times. You’ll be glad to know that it’s been at least a few decades since I’ve been called on to perform that duty. But, I digress…

Fast forward a few years from the doodie duty. Its Doran’s first day of school. After school he bursts through the front door with a huge smile on his little face and proclaims something to the effect of “That was my best day ever!” Now there were any number of things the big brother could’ve said in response. Mercifully, I don’t even remember what I did say. I do know, though, that it wasn’t kind. The reason I know is that I do remember what Doran said next. After his face fell. After his arms went limp to his sides. After his chin dropped to his chest. “You spoiled my perfect day.” I hope I tried to recover the situation and make him feel better. I really don’t remember. Even now as I type this, though, I feel again that sinking, twisting sensation in my stomach and that heaviness in my chest that lets me know I’ve blown it badly. Every couple of years since that day, something reminds me of it… like Pastor Gene’s sermon did Sunday.

It’s not pleasant to remember, but it’s good for me, I think. Unkind words seem especially designed to suck the joy out of another person. Of course, they also enlarge the joy-free zone in the one speaking them. It’s good for me to keep the destructive power of my words in mind and to remember, too, how they can be used to soothe, comfort, encourage, and support others.

“Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.”
Proverbs 12:18

I’m praying that the Lord will keep working at helping me and my mouth to wise up. Of course I really mean that he will keep working on my heart.

“The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks.”
Luke 6:45

--Lee Lower

2 Comments:

  • At 5:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    thanks, Lee. i pray a lot that God will set an angel on my tongue and that i will just keep my mouth shut.

    i don't intentionally say things to suck out the joy...but, they come out as dumb things that damage. the scripture instructs me to listen a lot and speak little. unfortunately, sometimes the reins on my tongue get twisted and i speak when i should be silent.

    i hope this NVF advent blog will continue throughout the year. You and Leslie have ministered to me.

    Again, thank you.

     
  • At 12:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Having three little brothers and not walking with Christ in my childhood I can relate to harsh words and a hard heart. A verse came to mind when I was reading your blog. My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
    James 1:18-20
    I have started to learn this as I listen for His voice. I am just one of the sheep trying to follow Him.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home